Saturday, November 27, 2010

The Unexpected Adversity

images.jpg


I knocked on the door but no reply came from the other side. I was very excited to see him because I was going to meet him after two months of summer break. Mr. Moor was his name. I volunteered at the Seniors Centre and over the couple of months, we became great friends.He always had stories to tell me about his devastating life, which was all about war. I knocked again, yet there was no reply, so I walked in. Upon entering the room all I could smell was coffee and cigarettes. The smell gushed through my nostril's and reached down to my lungs, I coughed. Earlier,  I told him so many times not to smoke too much but nothing kept him away from cigarettes. Finally when I regained my senses, I saw him.There he was, sitting by the window on his favorite comfy chair with a cigarette between his fingers. Now, it almost felt like it was a part of him. Usually he would be reading a book, whenever I came, but this time he was just staring at the door and looking at me. No sweet and humble greetings came upon showering  my way the way they usually did. "Might be tired", I said to myself. I walked across his little room and and sat across him. The beautiful view of the sun-set from his window didn't seem to please him at all. His gentle and sympathetic eyes were fixed on me. He wore his favorite cap and I wondered why. He had a little smirk on his ancient face. Finally I broke the silence " You look great today, something special?". There was no reply and I wanted to tell him about my holidays but he was just sitting back and staring. His face look more tired and weary today and the tiredness in his eyes told me that he didn't sleep for days.Something was different about him today. Even his room felt really cold and quite. A man like him would surely not hiss keep his room so dull. He had lost weight which showed more skins and bones. His face surely had many fold of wrinkles but one thing that it didn't failed to acknowledge was his wisdom of ages. He had been a war-hero. His tired and deep blue eyes once had been the shiny bright eyes in which girls would loved to swim. His weak and soft hands, once had been strong and rough which would do firing from one hand and loading bullets in guns form the other. Nothing would seem to be impossible for this man during his youth. Now it reflected back all the need and want of the old life, that once he lived and wished to live it again.Uneasiness was getting all over me now. The silence in the room felt like a huge amount of weight on me. I thought he might be angry with me for leaving without telling him. I apologized, but still his deep blue eyes looked right through me as if I was not there. I felt like he was trying to figure out several unanswered questions. Oh! how badly I wish I could help him, but i couldn't. Nobody could. The peevishness inside me started to build. The sun was setting outside and it started to get darker. His reflection gave me a look of a waxed mask of old age, which one could not overlook. Oh Lord! I was getting scared now. I got up to turn on the lights. I turned back and the hair on my arms shook up and a cold sweat went down at my spine. Mr. Moor was not there. He was gone. Whoosh. Frightened to death, I ran out of the room.

No comments:

Post a Comment